Free parking at Queen’s Street market boost
Queens Market traders are celebrating as free parking will be available on Tuesday mornings throughout November.
Charges will be waived at the famous Upton Park market’s car park from 8am to 1pm.
It follows the submission of a business proposal by Friends of Queen’s Market and the traders association to Newham Council noting how the charges affect their trade.
The council say the trial could be extended permanentlyif it is a success.
Pauline Rowe, secretary of the Friends group, said: “We think that free parking will be a boost to traders and shoppers.
“Hopefully it will be extended in the future.”
Cllr Ian Corbett, Cabinet Member for Environment and Leisure said: “We want to support businesses by encouraging residents to shop locally.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
“This is a good opportunity for residents to start their Christmas shopping early before the December rush and where better to do it than Queens Market and the surrounding Green Street with its array of unique shops and services.”