Search

Fourteen people evacuated after kebab shop blaze in Stratford

PUBLISHED: 09:39 26 March 2013 | UPDATED: 09:39 26 March 2013

Picture: PA

Picture: PA

sub

Fourteen people, including six children, had to be evacuated by firefighters when a fire broke out in a Stratford kebab shop.

Ten people, including six children, were led to safety from the flats above the shop, and four staff from the kebab shop on the Grove were also evacuated last Friday,.

A woman and baby were treated on the scene for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire damaged the takeaway’s ventilation system, part of the shop’s ceiling and a small part of a first floor flat above the shop.

The Brigade was called at 9.24pm and the fire was under control by 00.24am Four fire engines, 21 firefighters and officers from Stratford and Bow fire stations attended the incident.

The fire is believed to have been caused after a charcoal barbecue ignited fat in the takeaway’s ducting.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder