Search

Four adults and a baby escape flat fires in East Ham

PUBLISHED: 11:51 01 October 2012 | UPDATED: 12:12 01 October 2012

sub

A couple with a baby in their arms escaped while two other men were helped to safety during a fire in East Ham

The woman and man managed to climb out of a first floor window of a flat above a shop in Katherine Road before walking along a flat roof and into the shop.

Two men who had tried to put out the fire were led to safety by firefighters called to the scene about 7.30am on Sunday. The two men managed to climb onto a roof from a flat behind the shop before being helped to the ground by firefighters with a ladder.

Watch manager at East Ham Fire Station, Nigel Forder, said: “The adults, aged around 20 to 30 years old, and the baby, less than a year old, were taken to Newham General Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

“The cause of the fire was accidental. We have reported a toaster in a kitchen as the cause and think something on top of the toaster may have caught fire.”

The fire damaged a small part of the shop.

Two fire engines with about 10 firefighters from East Ham and Plaistow stations attended.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder