Former Silvertown firefighter retires after 40 years of saving lives

PUBLISHED: 15:52 07 November 2016 | UPDATED: 15:52 07 November 2016

Firefighter Wayne Hughes retires today after 40 years in the London Fire Brigade

Firefighter Wayne Hughes retires today after 40 years in the London Fire Brigade


A decorated firefighter has today retired after more than 40 years of service.

Barking Station bids farewell to Wayne HughesBarking Station bids farewell to Wayne Hughes

Wayne Hughes, 59, spent 21 years at Silvertown Fire Station but has been a permanent fixture on the green watch at Barking since 1997.

An experienced fireman, he was one of the first people on the scene at the huge industrial fire in Chequers Lane, Dagenham, that involved more than 200 firefighters and 45 fire engines on the final day of the London 2012 Olympics.

“I’ve loved my job,” he said. “I’m really going to miss the fellows, it’s the people you work with that make it what it is.

“We’re a really tight-knit group.”

A firefighter since finishing training on February 9 1976, he received an assistant commissioner commendation for his actions at a road traffic accident in August 2013.

London Fire Brigade (LFB) Barking and Dagenham borough commander Steve Norman said: “Wayne has been a true gentleman throughout his career and will be missed around the fire station and definitely on the fire ground for his professionalism and vast experience.

“I think I speak for myself and all of the people that have worked with Wayne in saying that it has been an absolute honour to have served with him.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder