Former Co-op car park site in East Ham to be developed
- Credit: Archant
Plans to create 108 private flats for rent on the former Co-op car park in East Ham are under consultation.
Developer Helical Retail, part of Helical Bar plc, is proposing a mixed-use development for the site, which is located off Barking Road.
The L-shaped piece of land behind the Denmark Arms pub will accommodate one and two-bedrooom flats, all with balconies.
The development will also include a podium-level central communal garden for residents that will be screened from the road.
In addition to the flats, a new gym and two shops including a TK Maxx will be considered.
Proposals also include 11 to 12 affordable family-sized homes for “local residents” at the developer’s joint site on Wordsworth Avenue.
The Barking Road site has been used as a public car park since the 1990s.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Hammers fans show support for Christmas Toy Appeal
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
Prior to that, the land had been the London Co-operative Society department store since the 1940s.
A planning application will be submitted to Newham Council in the coming months.
Residents are being invited to have their say on consultation website Your Shout, which has full details of the plans.
Visit former-co-op-eastham.co.uk for more information.