Forest Gate volunteer always helping others
A MATURE student at the University of East London has been honoured with a top volunteering award.
Postgraduate law student Turab Abbasi, 37, of Forest Gate, was presented with Volunteering England’s Gold Award for his efforts.
Mr Abbasi is originally from Pakistan, where he worked as a lawyer, and began studying a one-year masters course in law at UEL’s Stratford High Street campus in February 2009.
It was during this time that he founded the UEL International Students Society to advise overseas students on financial, welfare, visa and employment issues.
He also helped organise students’ union events, such as the annual summer ball.
You may also want to watch:
He told the Recorder: “This was the first time in the history of the university that this kind of award has been given to students for their volunteering activities.
“I am quite happy that my volunteer work has been acknowledged in a memorable way, which will encourage new volunteers to come forward in the future.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
Since graduating last year, Mr Abbasi has continued his volunteer work for organisations such as the Newham volunteer team and the National Blood Service.
He also helped out with the fund-raising efforts following the disastrous earthquake in Haiti last January.
Volunteering England is an independent charity dedicated to promoting and supporting volunteering across the country.
The Gold Award recognises achievement, dedication and leadership among those at university or college.