Forest Gate students launch competition to find names for lizard pair
- Credit: Archant
A group of Newham students have launched a competition to name two of its latest, rather unsual additions.
But these are no ordinary students. The newcomers are in fact bearded dragons bought by an animal lover who recently won an award.
Ryan Davis, a Year 11 student at St Bonaventure’s in Boleyn Road, was named as the October 2013 Jack Petchey Award Winner. With his winning cheque he decided to buy a vivarium (a special enclosure), heating equipment and two lizards for the whole school to enjoy.
A spokeswoman for the school said the exotic pets have become the focus of much attention and are living happily in one of the science labs. The students are learning about the correct environment for the lizards, how to monitor the heat lamps and overseeing their feeding with crickets.
Lucie Racon, head of science, decided it would be a good idea to launch a competition to name the pair.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “We need a male and female name that would suit the bearded dragons. They are very curious and watch our science lessons intently. It’s a shame they haven’t yet got names but we’re hoping that one of the boys comes up with some inspirational names that will capture our imagination.”
Ryan, who lives in Manor Park, has been volunteering at Newham City farm in Beckton during his weekends and holidays since he was 12. He hopes to study animal husbandry after taking his GCSEs. He said he wanted to use his award money to buy something that would benefit students of all Year groups after he leaves.
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 6 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 7 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 8 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim