Forest Gate secret garden to raise cash for carers
- Credit: Archant
Forest Gate flower lovers are invited to enjoy exotic plants and a secret garden from July 18-19.
Former Newham In Bloom champion Janet Daniels, 67, is opening her garden to the public to support the National Garden Scheme, which funds nursing and social care charities – donating more than 44million to date.
“People that come say they can’t believe this is in Forest Gate,” Janet said. “And everyone seems to like it.”
The sit at 42 Latimer Road features exotic plants, ponds for goldfish and coy carp and a shed full of vintage gardening tools.
Janet, who earlier this year raised about £2,000 for Sri Lankan charity Asha Trust, is hoping to boost the National Garden Scheme’s donations to charities with proceeds from the weekend-long showcase.
The garden will be open from 11am-4pm on both days and there is an entrance charge of £3.50 per person, except for children who will be able to enter free of charge.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'