Forest Gate resident to help launch new cycle track in Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
A Forest Gate resident will help launch a new cycling track in east London after joining the team of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Rahana Begum, 19, was appointed Management Support Assistant for the Lee Valley VeloPark, which promises to be a world premier cycling venue.
The VeloPark will open in March 2014 and will feature an 6,000 capacity velodrome, a remodelled Olympic BMX track, a 1.6km flood-lit road circuit and 9km of mountain biking trail – the first venue in the world to have these four cycling disciplines in one place.
Ms Begun, a life-long Forest Gate resident with an AAT qualification in accounting, will deal with bookings, purchasing and VeloPark gift-vouchers in her new role, having worked previously as Community Hall Manager in Forest Gate and in the leisure industry.
Ms Begum said: “It’s a fantastic time to be part of the Lee Valley VeloPark team, and a great opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so excited to help with the opening of this massive venue. I can see it being really popular and busy.”
Lee Valley VeloPark will open its doors to the public in March 2014 for training and taster sessions, competitions, parties and corporate events.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
Jeremy Northrop, manager of Lee Valley VeloPark, said: “Rahana is a great addition to the team.
“Her previous experience and enthusiasm are exactly what’s needed to make Lee Valley VeloPark a world-class facility.”
Lee Valley VeloPark’s velodrome hosted the London 2012 track cycling competition in which Britain won seven gold medals from ten Olympic events, plus 15 medals in the Paralympic events, five of which were gold.
For more information visit www.visitleevalley.org.uk/velopark.