Forest Gate resident to help launch new cycle track in Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
A Forest Gate resident will help launch a new cycling track in east London after joining the team of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Rahana Begum, 19, was appointed Management Support Assistant for the Lee Valley VeloPark, which promises to be a world premier cycling venue.
The VeloPark will open in March 2014 and will feature an 6,000 capacity velodrome, a remodelled Olympic BMX track, a 1.6km flood-lit road circuit and 9km of mountain biking trail – the first venue in the world to have these four cycling disciplines in one place.
Ms Begun, a life-long Forest Gate resident with an AAT qualification in accounting, will deal with bookings, purchasing and VeloPark gift-vouchers in her new role, having worked previously as Community Hall Manager in Forest Gate and in the leisure industry.
Ms Begum said: “It’s a fantastic time to be part of the Lee Valley VeloPark team, and a great opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so excited to help with the opening of this massive venue. I can see it being really popular and busy.”
Lee Valley VeloPark will open its doors to the public in March 2014 for training and taster sessions, competitions, parties and corporate events.
- 1 £10k reward offered one year after fatal stabbing of Stephen Morrisson
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern welcomes back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 Beckton state school outshines top independents in Mandarin competition
- 7 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 8 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 Cyclist casualties on borough's roads rise as more people travel by bike
Jeremy Northrop, manager of Lee Valley VeloPark, said: “Rahana is a great addition to the team.
“Her previous experience and enthusiasm are exactly what’s needed to make Lee Valley VeloPark a world-class facility.”
Lee Valley VeloPark’s velodrome hosted the London 2012 track cycling competition in which Britain won seven gold medals from ten Olympic events, plus 15 medals in the Paralympic events, five of which were gold.
For more information visit www.visitleevalley.org.uk/velopark.