Forest Gate pupils get to grips with First Aid
PUBLISHED: 17:00 16 June 2015
Nearly two hundred students got to grips with the basics of first aid last week – enough to make the difference between life and death.
Last October, the Recorder reported how three St Bonaventure’s teenagers saved an elderly man’s life, after they put the stroke sufferer in a recovery position when they found him lying in Wood Grange Road.
On Friday, Year Seven pupils at the same Forest Gate school also learnt how to apply the recovery position, as well as how to deal with a number of injuries.
After watching a lesson live- streamed to classrooms across the country, students could try out their new-found knowledge, having fun bandaging each other and making slings.
They also gained experience in treating head injuries, soft tissue injuries, asthma and severe allergic reactions.
Teacher Graham Hayes oversaw the afternoon.
“It was a really useful lesson that will hopefully prompt our students to want to learn more first aid skills,” he said.
“What they learned could make a difference between a life lost and a life saved.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.