Forest Gate mum nominated for two parenting charity awards
- Credit: Archant
A Forest Gate mum has been shortlisted for two awards by the National Childbirth Trust for transforming its Newham branch.
Kelly Drake is in the running for most innovative volunteer and a NCT national commendation at the NCT Star Awards on Saturday for her dedication and hard work since becoming branch chair two years ago.
She says she is “delighted” to have been nominated for her efforts.
“It is nice to be thanked and it is actually very motivating as it has made me want to do more,” she said. “Whether I win or not, it is a really nice gesture to be nominated.”
Kelly, a mum-of-two, first became involved with the NCT when she was pregnant with her first child, India, and joined one of the branch’s antenatal classes.
When she found out the branch was in need of an extra hand, she began to help out and later became chair - and hasn’t looked back.
“I have had the best four years with my friends from NCT and I have been able to share my concerns and worries and joy of being a parent,” she said.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
Kelly’s achievements include reaching out to more families by introducing dads’ meet ups, a mums-to-be group, increasing the group’s social media presence and organising free antenatal classes for vulnerable and younger women.
She says ensuring that women have a healthy support network is what the NCT is all about.
“Although giving birth is a very ordinary part of life, it is also an extraordinary experience,” Kelly said. “A lot of woman go through that on their own or with their partner and that can be very isolating and lead to post-natal depression. It is very good to get out of the house and meet other people to share experiences, especially in Newham which has a very transient population as it gives an opportunity to build the community.”
For more information about Newham NCT, search for Newham NCT on Facebook, follow @NCTNewham on Twitter, visit email@example.com or call 07789 953151.