Man rescued after ‘electrical fault’ causes basement fire in Forest Gate
- Credit: Archant
A fire at a shop below flats in Forest Gate at the weekend is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault within a strip lighting unit.
Firefighters rescued one man from the first floor of the building on Green Street after the blaze broke out in the early hours of Sunday (September 8).
Half of the basement was damaged in the fire and there were no reported injuries.
The brigade was called to the scene at 4.17am and the fire was under control by 6.34am.
Crews from the Stratford, Leytonstone, Plaistow and East Ham stations attended, with about 25 firefighters and four fire engines on scene.
You may also want to watch:
Investigators believe the fire was accidental.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money