Search

Man rescued after ‘electrical fault’ causes basement fire in Forest Gate

PUBLISHED: 13:36 10 September 2019 | UPDATED: 13:36 10 September 2019

One man was rescued after a fire broke out in a shop below flats on Green Street in Forest Gate. Picture: London Fire Brigade

One man was rescued after a fire broke out in a shop below flats on Green Street in Forest Gate. Picture: London Fire Brigade

Archant

A fire at a shop below flats in Forest Gate at the weekend is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault within a strip lighting unit.

Firefighters rescued one man from the first floor of the building on Green Street after the blaze broke out in the early hours of Sunday (September 8).

You may also want to watch:

Half of the basement was damaged in the fire and there were no reported injuries.

The brigade was called to the scene at 4.17am and the fire was under control by 6.34am.

Crews from the Stratford, Leytonstone, Plaistow and East Ham stations attended, with about 25 firefighters and four fire engines on scene.

Investigators believe the fire was accidental.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder