Forest Gate artist enjoys working with next generation
- Credit: Archant
Freelance writer, editor and artist Sonya Patel Ellis has many passions.
When she’s not spending time running workshops, the 41-year-old is winning exhibitions.
Sonya, from Claremont Road, Forest Gate, said she has had a lifelong interest in flowers, plants and the natural world.
“I got into nature from a young age, as I think it was parental through always going on walks and making different things,” she said.
The artist is also the founder of The Herbarium Project, a platform for conversations about links between art, books, nature, science and culture, and also runs E7 Magazine.
Since May, Sonya has been running a series of workshops with schools and community groups.
She said: “It has been really rewarding working with the kids and getting loads of different feedback from them. Just seeing the work they are coming up with is great.”
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 10 West Ham United earn Viborg victory in Europa Conference League play-off
Sonya is also the winner of Rosetta Art’s solo Relay exhibition 2015.
“It was great to win, but it has worked out well as part of the competition was to deliver something back to the community, which I have with the workshops,” she said.
For more on her art or workshops visit theherbariumproject.com