Forest Gate artist enjoys working with next generation
- Credit: Archant
Freelance writer, editor and artist Sonya Patel Ellis has many passions.
When she’s not spending time running workshops, the 41-year-old is winning exhibitions.
Sonya, from Claremont Road, Forest Gate, said she has had a lifelong interest in flowers, plants and the natural world.
“I got into nature from a young age, as I think it was parental through always going on walks and making different things,” she said.
The artist is also the founder of The Herbarium Project, a platform for conversations about links between art, books, nature, science and culture, and also runs E7 Magazine.
You may also want to watch:
Since May, Sonya has been running a series of workshops with schools and community groups.
She said: “It has been really rewarding working with the kids and getting loads of different feedback from them. Just seeing the work they are coming up with is great.”
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
Sonya is also the winner of Rosetta Art’s solo Relay exhibition 2015.
“It was great to win, but it has worked out well as part of the competition was to deliver something back to the community, which I have with the workshops,” she said.
For more on her art or workshops visit theherbariumproject.com