Forest Gate 16-year-old gives her hair to children with cancer
Brave Forest Gate schoolgirl Jessie Sayce shaved her head on Friday so that her hair can be made into wigs for children with cancer.
Jessie, a 16-year-old student at Wanstead High School, cut off her long brown hair which reached past her shoulders for The Little Princess Trust which provides real hair wigs for children who have suffered hair loss due to cancer treatment.
In addition to giving her hair, Jessie raised �300 so the charity could also afford to buy wigs for the children.
Proud mum Jean, of Clare Gardens, said: “She’s such a selfless person as well. She’s always thinking of everyone else before herself.
“I’m so proud of her. She stood up in front of my church and said her bit and they gave her �40 just like that.
You may also want to watch:
“I told her to do it after Christmas but she’s determined, she said she wants to do it now because she wants to do it for the children.”
Jessie, who now has a number three length haircut, chose a family friend to shave her hair at home so she could give the money she would have spent at a hairdressers to the cause.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
Jean, who is thinking of following in her daughter’s footsteps, added: “It looks good though, it really suits her. “I’ve been thinking about doing it as well now but they need seven inches of hair and mine isn’t long enough yet.
“I don’t think I’d shave it like Jessie but I’d cut it short.”
To find out more about The Little Princess Trust and make a hair or cash donation, visit www.littleprincesses.org.uk or call 0845 094 2169.