Focus E15 campaigners march through Stratford to mark anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of people came together over the weekend to mark the second anniversary of the Focus E15 Campaign.
Approximately, 700 people marched from Stratford Park, in West Ham Lane to the Carpenters Estate in Stratford on Saturday.
Campaigner Jasmin Stone, said: “The housing crisis continues, with no major political party offering viable solutions. 26 families are evicted every day across the country.
“We continue to demand the repopulation of the Carpenters Estate, an immediate end to decanting and evictions of residents from the estate, long term and secure tenancies for all, and of course, social housing, not social cleansing.”
A spokeswoman for Newham Council said they are committed to the redevelopment of the Carpenters Estate which “will bring both economic and social benefits to the borough.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “The council wants the site to provide modern homes in a good quality environment as well as generating vitally important jobs for the local area.”
The Focus E15 campaign group launched in 2013 after a group of young mothers were served with eviction notices in relation to the Focus E15 hostel for young homeless people.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?