Flights suspended at London City Airport after “technical error”
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Flights from London City Airport have been suspended after a technical problem grounded departures across London and the south east.
A spokeswoman for the airport, based in North Woolwich, told the Recorder: “Flights are suspended until further notice”. Affected passengers are advised to contact their airline for further flight information (see below).
Air traffic control company Nats confirmed that a “technical problem” had been reported at Swanwick air traffic control centre, Hampshire.
The firm said in a statement: “UK airspace has not been closed, but airspace capacity has been restricted in order to manage the situation. We apologise for any delays and our incident response team has been mobilised.
“Every possible action is being taken to assist in resolving the situation and to confirm the details. Further information will be released as it becomes available.”
You may also want to watch:
London City Airport’s website went down for a brief period this afternoon due to a “huge peak” in the number of people trying to access it for flight information following airspace restrictions, said a spokeswoman.
Have you been affected by the airspace restriction? Are you currently waiting for a flight out of London City Airport? Contact Freddy Mayhew by calling 020 8477 3981, emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweeting @NewhamRecorder.
- 1 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 5 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 8 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 9 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 10 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub