Five new Olympic Park Stratford neighbourhoods named
Five new housing neighbourhoods that will be built on the future Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park have been named following a public competition.
Almost 2,000 people entered the Olympic Park Legacy Company’s ‘Your Park, Your Place’ competition which gave people the chance to shape the future of the Park.
A judging panel met at The View Tube overlooking the Olympic Park in Stratford to pick the winning names. They are Chobham Manor, East Wick, Sweetwater, Marshgate Wharf and Pudding Mill.
Suggestions were based on the future designs of the neighbourhoods, the Olympic Games itself and the historical uses of the various areas such as gunpowder mills and former factories. The Legacy Company’s website gave visitors a guide to each neighbourhood, including a historical tour, to help them get a feel for the areas.
Andrew Altman, Chief Executive of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, said: “Today the public has given a new piece of London its identity, where communities will grow in five new neighbourhoods, alongside the spectacular venues and open spaces created for the Games.
You may also want to watch:
“Our ‘Your Park, Your Place’ competition has proved to be a great way for people to get involved with our plans to develop the future Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park over the next 20 years.”
The judging panel included representatives from the Government, the neighbouring boroughs, Wessex Archaeology, a young athlete from Newham Academy, developer Argent Group and a member of the Legacy Youth Panel from Hackney.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections