Five new Olympic Park Stratford neighbourhoods named
Five new housing neighbourhoods that will be built on the future Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park have been named following a public competition.
Almost 2,000 people entered the Olympic Park Legacy Company’s ‘Your Park, Your Place’ competition which gave people the chance to shape the future of the Park.
A judging panel met at The View Tube overlooking the Olympic Park in Stratford to pick the winning names. They are Chobham Manor, East Wick, Sweetwater, Marshgate Wharf and Pudding Mill.
Suggestions were based on the future designs of the neighbourhoods, the Olympic Games itself and the historical uses of the various areas such as gunpowder mills and former factories. The Legacy Company’s website gave visitors a guide to each neighbourhood, including a historical tour, to help them get a feel for the areas.
Andrew Altman, Chief Executive of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, said: “Today the public has given a new piece of London its identity, where communities will grow in five new neighbourhoods, alongside the spectacular venues and open spaces created for the Games.
You may also want to watch:
“Our ‘Your Park, Your Place’ competition has proved to be a great way for people to get involved with our plans to develop the future Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park over the next 20 years.”
The judging panel included representatives from the Government, the neighbouring boroughs, Wessex Archaeology, a young athlete from Newham Academy, developer Argent Group and a member of the Legacy Youth Panel from Hackney.
- 1 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 2 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 3 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 4 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 5 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
- 6 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
- 7 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 8 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 9 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total