Search

Five evacuated from Forest Gate fire after shopkeeper spots smoke

PUBLISHED: 15:10 30 March 2016 | UPDATED: 15:10 30 March 2016

Firefighters attended the fire in Crow Road

Firefighters attended the fire in Crow Road

Archant

A shopkeeper raised the alarm in Forest Gate after spotting smoke coming out of the flat above.

Five people left the Upton Lane property yesterday morning before the London Fire Brigade arrived.

The fire completely damaged one of the bedrooms of a first floor flat, while there was smoke damage throughout the three storey building.

It was later discovered that no smoke alarms had been fitted in the property.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and the safest option is to have those linked together.

“This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder