Firework believed to have caused Stratford flat fire

Investigators believe that a firework started the fire

Investigators believe that a firework started the fire - Credit: Archant

A stray firework is believed to have caused a fire which completely destroyed the balcony of a Stratford block of flats.

A four-roomed flat was also slightly damaged in the blaze which broke out in Church Street, Stratford, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Station Manager Daniel Egan said: “This incident shows how dangerous fireworks can be so with days to go to Bonfire Night we recommend that you go to an organised firework display, or if you are planning to have fireworks at home, follow the firework safety code.”

Recommendations include only buying fireworks marked with the British Standard Kitemark BS7114 and not drinking alcohol if you are setting them off.

Fifty-nine residents left the Stratford high-rise block before the brigade arrived. One woman was taken to hospital by an ambulance after sustaining minor injuries as she left the building.

About 35 firefighters from Plaistow, Homerton, Leytonstone and Stoke Newington fire stations attended the scene.

Read more:

Evacuation as fire strikes high-rise flats in Stratford

Fire at Stratford Olympic Stadium

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter