Firefighters tackle major blaze at West Ham school
A Newham school was hit by a major fire today. Now Newham Council education chiefs are to meet urgently to see if pupils can return to school as normal next week.
Six fire engines and around 30 firefighters were called to a fire in the roof of Gainsborough primary school which sprawls across Milner Road and Gainsborough Road, off Manor Road in West Ham.
The Brigade was called at 10.15am to tackle the blaze. Families in both streets, including pupils from the school, watched in horror as the fire took hold. Around 20 per cent of the roof was on fire. Firefighters used four jets and a hydraulic platform in the fire, and firefighters wore breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze and a thermal imaging camera to check if anyone was inside.
No people were found and no local people had to leave their home as they were sufficiently far away from danger. Police and firefighters taped off the roads and there were minor traffic diversions in the area.
The fire was under control by 12pm. The cause of the fire is under investigation, said a London Fire Brigade spokesman. Firefighters were still at the scene at 6pm cleaning up. Council teams will now make the playground area and school outbuildings and gates safe and secure.
You may also want to watch:
Much of the school was untouched in the fire.The roof damage is all that can be seen from the road. But safety checks have to be made to see if pupils can return normally next week.
A full investigation will be undertaken by Newham Council experts.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
* Apologies you were unable to read this story earlier. Network connection problems prevented uploading to our website from 4pm to moments ago.