Firefighters tackle fire at block of flats in Plaistow
- Credit: sub
Firefighters tackled a fire at a new extension to a block of flats in Plaistow after the external cladding caught fire.
Four fire engines from Plaistow and Stratford attended and an aerial latter was used to reach the fire on the third to fourth floor of Vista Apartments in Hermit Road which started about 7pm.
Stratford watch manager Martin Knight said: “The fire had spread between the walls, roof and decking area.
“The building has a decorative panel and a sprayed fibre board. The fire had got into the external insulation polystyrene which meant we had to cut out the wall cladding.”
It is understood the fire occurred in an extension which is still unoccupied. Residents living in other parts of the four to five floors split level block were not evacuated.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was put out within two hours. No one was injured.
A decking area was damaged, along with part of the roof and a small area of cladding on the side of the building.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.