Firefighters tackle fire at block of flats in Plaistow
- Credit: sub
Firefighters tackled a fire at a new extension to a block of flats in Plaistow after the external cladding caught fire.
Four fire engines from Plaistow and Stratford attended and an aerial latter was used to reach the fire on the third to fourth floor of Vista Apartments in Hermit Road which started about 7pm.
Stratford watch manager Martin Knight said: “The fire had spread between the walls, roof and decking area.
“The building has a decorative panel and a sprayed fibre board. The fire had got into the external insulation polystyrene which meant we had to cut out the wall cladding.”
It is understood the fire occurred in an extension which is still unoccupied. Residents living in other parts of the four to five floors split level block were not evacuated.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was put out within two hours. No one was injured.
A decking area was damaged, along with part of the roof and a small area of cladding on the side of the building.
- 1 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 7 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.