Firefighters tackle building blaze in Manor Park
Around 40 firefighters battled a fire at a commercial building in Manor Park this morning.
Crews from East Ham, Stratford and Plaistow started tackling the blaze at what is reported to be the Church Road Studios in Church Road about 10am today.
The road is currently closed to motorists after 10 fire engines were scrambled to the scene.
Part of the roof was destroyed by the fire, while residents were advised to keep their windows closed because of the resulting smoke.
Church Road Studios is used for a range of community events, including a mother and toddler group and an arts class.
You may also want to watch:
Satpal Kaur, who works in the nearby Church Road Pharmacy, said: “I was actually doing some dispensing at the time but I heard all fire engines come down and then the road was closed.
“I heard there were some people inside the building when the call was made and that it was hard for (the firefighters) to get in because the gates were closed.”
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 9 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 10 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k