Firearms officer found shot dead in Newham is named
A firearms officer found shot dead at North Woolwich police station has been named
A firearms officer found dead at North Woolwich police station has been named as Pc Kenny Cornelius.
An inquest was opened and adjourned into the Pc’s death at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court yesterday.
The Pc was discovered by a work colleague at the police station in Woolwich Manor Way on Sunday afternoon.
Pc Cornelius, 38, was discovered seriously injured with gunshot wounds at 2.30pm. He was pronounced dead by paramedics 20 minutes later, despite their efforts to save him.
No members of the public were at the station, which is essential as a base for staff and equipment now, at the time of the officer’s death.
The officer worked within the Aviation Security Command at London City Airport in Silvertown.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
North Woolwich police station is used as a base by armed officers on the Command, and the constable had just started his shift.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the tragedy. A Scotland Yard spokesman said the officer’s next of kin had been informed.
A report is being prepared for the coroner by officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards.
A post mortem into the death of Pc Cornelius was carried out at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Monday. It gave the cause of death as a gun shot wound to the head.
The officer’s death has stunned colleagues.
Locals in a nearby pub said they heard a gunshot just after 2pm.
Others saw a number of police cars lining Albert Road and Woolwich Manor Way.