Firearms officer found shot dead in Newham is named
A firearms officer found shot dead at North Woolwich police station has been named
A firearms officer found dead at North Woolwich police station has been named as Pc Kenny Cornelius.
An inquest was opened and adjourned into the Pc’s death at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court yesterday.
The Pc was discovered by a work colleague at the police station in Woolwich Manor Way on Sunday afternoon.
Pc Cornelius, 38, was discovered seriously injured with gunshot wounds at 2.30pm. He was pronounced dead by paramedics 20 minutes later, despite their efforts to save him.
You may also want to watch:
No members of the public were at the station, which is essential as a base for staff and equipment now, at the time of the officer’s death.
The officer worked within the Aviation Security Command at London City Airport in Silvertown.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 9 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
North Woolwich police station is used as a base by armed officers on the Command, and the constable had just started his shift.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the tragedy. A Scotland Yard spokesman said the officer’s next of kin had been informed.
A report is being prepared for the coroner by officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards.
A post mortem into the death of Pc Cornelius was carried out at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Monday. It gave the cause of death as a gun shot wound to the head.
The officer’s death has stunned colleagues.
Locals in a nearby pub said they heard a gunshot just after 2pm.
Others saw a number of police cars lining Albert Road and Woolwich Manor Way.