Firearms officer found shot dead in Newham is named
A firearms officer found shot dead at North Woolwich police station has been named
A firearms officer found dead at North Woolwich police station has been named as Pc Kenny Cornelius.
An inquest was opened and adjourned into the Pc’s death at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court yesterday.
The Pc was discovered by a work colleague at the police station in Woolwich Manor Way on Sunday afternoon.
Pc Cornelius, 38, was discovered seriously injured with gunshot wounds at 2.30pm. He was pronounced dead by paramedics 20 minutes later, despite their efforts to save him.
You may also want to watch:
No members of the public were at the station, which is essential as a base for staff and equipment now, at the time of the officer’s death.
The officer worked within the Aviation Security Command at London City Airport in Silvertown.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
North Woolwich police station is used as a base by armed officers on the Command, and the constable had just started his shift.
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the tragedy. A Scotland Yard spokesman said the officer’s next of kin had been informed.
A report is being prepared for the coroner by officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards.
A post mortem into the death of Pc Cornelius was carried out at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court on Monday. It gave the cause of death as a gun shot wound to the head.
The officer’s death has stunned colleagues.
Locals in a nearby pub said they heard a gunshot just after 2pm.
Others saw a number of police cars lining Albert Road and Woolwich Manor Way.