Fire temporarily forces 100 people out of homes in Plaistow block
- Credit: Newham Union
Approximately 100 people living in a 16-storey residential block had to vacate their homes yesterday evening as a result of a fire.
Firefighters were called to Victoria Gardens in Victoria Road, Plaistow, at 6.35pm to tackle a fire on the balcony of a seventh-floor flat.
Residents were not able to re-enter the building until 10.22pm, although the blaze was brought under control at 7.10pm.
No-one was thought to be injured.
Police assisted by helping to move people with disabilities out of the block and implementing local road closures.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking