Fire still causing delays near Blackwall Tunnel
- Credit: Archant
Commuters are set to face queues through the Blackwall Tunnel in both directions this evening following a nightclub fire earlier.
More than 100 firefighters are still tackling the blaze, which broke out in North Greenwich, close to the tunnel’s northbound approach, at 11.45am.
Meanwhile, a broken down vehicle in the southbound tunnel has caused it to be temporarily closed.
Smoke from the fire, which has spread to an industrial warehouse and a scrap paper processing yard, can be seen for miles across east London.
Station manager Winston Douglas has advised those in the area to keep their doors and windows closed, with a safety cordon also set up around the fire.
You may also want to watch:
The 108 bus, which runs from Stratford to Lewisham via the Blackwall Tunnel, is operating with delays and is not stopping in Millennium Way, Greenwich.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking