Fire spreads through East Ham kebab shop
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are tackling a blaze that has broken out in a kebab shop and is spreading to the floors above.
Around 58 firefighters and officers have been battling flames at Gujranwala Kebab House in Barking Road, East Ham since 12.50pm.
A staircase between the two floors is alight and the fire has spread to a small part of each floor.
Eight fire engines and a fire rescue unit from East Ham, Plaistow, Leytonstone, Ilford, and Stratford fire stations are at the scene.
David Leverton, an estate agent at ARQ Homes which is opposite the restaurant, said: “I first noticed smoke coming from the first floor window and I went out to have a look and saw the top was also on fire.
“Lots of people are standing around watching which might say something about the unemployment figures in this borough.
“There were initial concerns that people were in there and the speed at which the firefighters got here would indicate that.”
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 10 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
Fire services have evacuated people from the surrounding area and Barking Road is shut between High Street North and Wellington Road.
The cause of the fire is currently unknown.