Fire spreads through East Ham kebab shop
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are tackling a blaze that has broken out in a kebab shop and is spreading to the floors above.
Around 58 firefighters and officers have been battling flames at Gujranwala Kebab House in Barking Road, East Ham since 12.50pm.
A staircase between the two floors is alight and the fire has spread to a small part of each floor.
Eight fire engines and a fire rescue unit from East Ham, Plaistow, Leytonstone, Ilford, and Stratford fire stations are at the scene.
David Leverton, an estate agent at ARQ Homes which is opposite the restaurant, said: “I first noticed smoke coming from the first floor window and I went out to have a look and saw the top was also on fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Lots of people are standing around watching which might say something about the unemployment figures in this borough.
“There were initial concerns that people were in there and the speed at which the firefighters got here would indicate that.”
- 1 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 2 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 3 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 8 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
Fire services have evacuated people from the surrounding area and Barking Road is shut between High Street North and Wellington Road.
The cause of the fire is currently unknown.