Fire spreads through East Ham kebab shop
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are tackling a blaze that has broken out in a kebab shop and is spreading to the floors above.
Around 58 firefighters and officers have been battling flames at Gujranwala Kebab House in Barking Road, East Ham since 12.50pm.
A staircase between the two floors is alight and the fire has spread to a small part of each floor.
Eight fire engines and a fire rescue unit from East Ham, Plaistow, Leytonstone, Ilford, and Stratford fire stations are at the scene.
David Leverton, an estate agent at ARQ Homes which is opposite the restaurant, said: “I first noticed smoke coming from the first floor window and I went out to have a look and saw the top was also on fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Lots of people are standing around watching which might say something about the unemployment figures in this borough.
“There were initial concerns that people were in there and the speed at which the firefighters got here would indicate that.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
Fire services have evacuated people from the surrounding area and Barking Road is shut between High Street North and Wellington Road.
The cause of the fire is currently unknown.