Fire spreads through East Ham kebab shop
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters are tackling a blaze that has broken out in a kebab shop and is spreading to the floors above.
Around 58 firefighters and officers have been battling flames at Gujranwala Kebab House in Barking Road, East Ham since 12.50pm.
A staircase between the two floors is alight and the fire has spread to a small part of each floor.
Eight fire engines and a fire rescue unit from East Ham, Plaistow, Leytonstone, Ilford, and Stratford fire stations are at the scene.
David Leverton, an estate agent at ARQ Homes which is opposite the restaurant, said: “I first noticed smoke coming from the first floor window and I went out to have a look and saw the top was also on fire.
“Lots of people are standing around watching which might say something about the unemployment figures in this borough.
“There were initial concerns that people were in there and the speed at which the firefighters got here would indicate that.”
- 1 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 2 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 3 West Ham need to 'improve everything' for Forest trip says Soucek
- 4 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 Wellens takes positives from Leyton Orient cup exit
- 7 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 8 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 9 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 10 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
Fire services have evacuated people from the surrounding area and Barking Road is shut between High Street North and Wellington Road.
The cause of the fire is currently unknown.