Firefighters tackle blaze at tower block
- Credit: Peter Hunt
Around 80 people had to be evacuated from a Silvertown tower block after firefighters tackled a flat fire on the seventh floor.
The incident took place in a building on Rayleigh Road and firefighters were called to reports of the blaze at 12.12am on Tuesday, June 1.
There were no reports of any injuries.
Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters fought the flames, which the brigade described as "extremely visible".
The cause of the fire is under investigation and the brigade's 999 control took 34 calls about the incident.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from Plaistow, Millwall, East Ham, Stratford, Shadwell, East Greenwich, Whitechapel and Barking fire stations attended the scene and the fire was under control by 1.26am.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow