Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- Credit: LFB
A builders' storage unit has been "badly damaged" in a fire in Plaistow.
Eight fire engines and about 60 firefighters tackled the flames at the facility in Barking Road after the brigade was called at 9.17am this morning (June 9).
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade (LFB) said the storage facility was badly damaged in the incident.
Station commander Jason Oliff, who was at the scene, said: "Firefighters worked extremely hard in arduous conditions to bring the blaze under control.
"The fire produced a lot of thick, black smoke so we asked residents to close their doors and windows."
You may also want to watch:
Barking Road in both directions at the junction of New City Road closed due to the fire, with traffic signals at the crossing also not working as a result, according to Transport for London.
The fire was under control by 11.06am. Crews from East Ham, Stratford, Barking, Leytonstone and Millwall fire stations were at the scene.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 7 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
The cause of the fire is under investigation.