Fire damage closes Canning Town road for six months
Severe damage declares the road a “danger to the public”
A road leading to the ExCeL Centre will close for up to six months following a major fire in Canning Town.
The blaze ripped through a range of storage units at Tidal Basin Road on Monday evening, severely damaging the bridge structure and road slabs.
An inspection by Newham’s structural engineers declared the section a “danger to the public”.
As a result, Network Management has totally closed Tidal Basin Road between Silvertown Way and Western Gateway for up to six months while repairs are carried out.
You may also want to watch:
The situation will affect visitors to ExCeL London in Custom House who will have to access the exhibition centre from the Lower Lea Roundabout via lower Tidal Basin Road.
Visitors are advised to allow more time for their journey if travelling by road.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'