Fire damage closes Canning Town road for six months
Severe damage declares the road a “danger to the public”
A road leading to the ExCeL Centre will close for up to six months following a major fire in Canning Town.
The blaze ripped through a range of storage units at Tidal Basin Road on Monday evening, severely damaging the bridge structure and road slabs.
An inspection by Newham’s structural engineers declared the section a “danger to the public”.
As a result, Network Management has totally closed Tidal Basin Road between Silvertown Way and Western Gateway for up to six months while repairs are carried out.
You may also want to watch:
The situation will affect visitors to ExCeL London in Custom House who will have to access the exhibition centre from the Lower Lea Roundabout via lower Tidal Basin Road.
Visitors are advised to allow more time for their journey if travelling by road.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford