Fire crews tackle blaze at listed building in Stratford
Fire investigators are trying to discover the cause of a blaze that damaged a derelict Grade II listed court house yesterday afternoon.
Firefighters were called at 3pm to the former magistrates court and mortuary building at the rear of the Old Town Hall in Stratford.
Crews from Stratford, Plaistow, Leytonstone and Walthamstow tackled the blaze with an aerial appliance. Although the building was empty, firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to search it.
West Ham Lane from Tramway Avenue to Bryant Street was closed while fire crews fought the blaze. People were allowed back into the Town Hall building after about an hour.
The fire caused internal damage to the ground floor. The first floor rear section of the courthouse building was damaged by smoke and water. There was no damage to the mortuary section.
You may also want to watch:
The building is thought to be structurally sound although Newham Council, which owns it, arranged for parts to be boarded up for extra support.
A council spokesperson said: “The alarm was raised by staff at the Town Hall who saw smoke coming from the building. They are to be congratulated because their prompt action in alerting the emergency services limited the amount of damage done to the building. They also supervised the smooth evacuation of more than 200 people who were using the Town Hall as a place of worship and the car park at the back of the building. This was done as a precautionary measure, not because there was any risk to safety, but to allow emergency services quicker and easier access.”
- 1 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 6 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
- 7 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 8 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford