Fire at Forest Gate estate agents after car careers through windows
PUBLISHED: 10:51 21 August 2017 | UPDATED: 12:49 21 August 2017
Four fire engines and 21 firefighters rushed to a Forest Gate estate agents early on Saturday morning after a car careered through the shop frontage and set alight inside.
The fire brigade say the source of the fire at Portico in Woodgrange Road was an electrical spark from the collision which caused petrol vapour to set on fire.
Police say any drivers and passengers had fled the scene by the time they arrived and no arrests have been made.
The fire brigade was called at 05:41 am and the fire was under control at 06:49 am. Fire crews from Stratford, Leytonstone, Plaistow and Leyton fire stations attended the scene.
An ambulance crew also went to the estate agents, but no one was taken to hospital.
The downstairs of the building was obliterated by the impact and the fire, and the first floor of the building also sustained fire damage.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.