Figures for births in Newham to mums born overseas released
- Credit: Archant
Statistics showing the nationality of foreign-born women who have had children in the borough have been revealed.
The subcontinent is heavily represented in the data, which was compiled by the Office for National Statistics, with India, Bangladesh and Pakistan in the top three.
Also strongly represented are countries from Eastern Europe.
Top of the list, which covers 2014, was Bangladesh with 812 births in the borough, followed by Pakistan with 573 and India with 537.
Babies with Romanian mums were most numerous among Europeans, with 307 births, followed by Lithuanians with 227 and Poles with 181.
Africa also appeared high up in the figures, with 236 births to Nigerians mums and 147 to Somalis.
Data released last year showed 76.7 per cent of all births in Newham were to mothers from overseas, while more than half of the borough’s population was born abroad.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 3 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 4 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 5 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 6 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 7 Free waffles for first customers at Royal Wharf Creams Café
- 8 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 9 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'