View from the council: Use proper methods to get rid of waste

PUBLISHED: 15:13 16 September 2018

Rokhsana Fiaz

As Mayor of Newham I have pledged to create a cleaner and more attractive borough for us to all enjoy and live in.

Working closely with councillor Rachel Tripp, my cabinet member for environment, it is a priority area for us and all our other councillor colleagues.

Like many of our residents, we are alarmed at the rubbish carelessly thrown or left on our streets.

Unsurprisingly, since I stepped into office I’ve been inundated with complaints from residents who are unhappy with fly-tipping, rubbish and litter they have seen. As a resident, I’m not either.

Let’s be clear, the council doesn’t create litter and fly-tips: people do. So the responsibility to keep Newham clean is one we all have to embrace together.

We will look at issues like the bulky waste removal charge, what constitutes fly-tipping, personal responsibility for getting rid of rubbish and how better to communicate to residents the effective ways of doing so and the consequences if you don’t.

Fly-tipping is not just the industrial scale criminal dumps with hundreds of tonnes of waste. It’s every time someone puts a bag of his or her rubbish anywhere but their own bin. It’s every time a business owner fails to pay for commercial rubbish removal and puts rubbish out on the pavement. And it’s every time someone thinks its okay to throw rubbish on the street instead of in a bin.

It is never okay to dump waste on the street - not by trees, not by lamp-posts, not by bins, and not in alley-ways. The only place your rubbish should be is in your bin.

Bulky items like mattresses and white goods need to be taken to the dump, either by you, the council or by a private contractor with a proper waste licence.

The council charges £20 to collect and dispose of up to six bulky items, we make no money out of this service, and it is cheaper than reputable waste companies will charge.

If you do decide to employ someone other than the council to remove your waste – it is your responsibility to make sure they have a waste license, which you should ask to see, you must get a proper receipt, and ideally get the registration of the vehicle they use.

If you need help with a waste issue, talk to us.

We need to treat our environment the way we treat our homes.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder