Fans flock to meet YouTube stars IRL
- Credit: Archant
An eclectic range of stars will be in Newham this weekend, from singers, daredevils, make-up gurus and even a sex educator
Why are they all at the Summer In The City convention? They all found fame the same way - posting videos on YouTube.
We spoke to Ben Ebbrell, who started cooking channel Sorted Food with three mates after swapping recipes down the pub. Now they have 1.6m subscribers.
The modest foodie said fame hasn’t gone to their heads. “What’s great is the fact that although we now have a huge global audience nothing has ever really changed. We’re still just a bunch of mates messing around and cooking up great food.”
“So many YouTube creators have fans rush up to them wanting selfies. Our community are more interested in showing us photos on their phones of the stuff they’ve cooked. They really care about food as much as we do!”
You may also want to watch:
Chef Ben praised London as “one of the world’s most exciting cities for food.”
“Soho is an obvious place to find new successes and pop-ups, but so are parts of east London and Balham and Clapham south of the river!”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
Ben’s ultimate British dish is fish and chips, and he disagrees with the notion that you can’t get decent fish and chips in the capital. “You absolutely can get good fish and chips in London - some of the best! “
His favourite? “The Mayfair Chippy is some of the finest in my eyes”.
Summer In The City at the ExCel Centre runs from Friday to Sunday. Sorted Food will appear at the creators day on Friday.