Search

Family rescued after ‘candles cause fire’ at Canning Town house

PUBLISHED: 15:33 06 March 2012

Candle-lit fire: The blaze left the room damaged

Candle-lit fire: The blaze left the room damaged

Archant

This is the aftermath of a blaze at a house in Canning Town which started when unattended candles were apparently knocked over.

The smoke-filled home in Atkinson Road was evacuated by firefighters at about 9.30pm last night after the flames spread from a pile of clothes in a room on the first floor.

Two women were taken by ambulance to Newham General Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, after they attempted to put out the fire.

Ten firefighters, some wearing breathing apparatus, tackled the blaze, which was under control within 90 minutes.

Residents are urged to take care when using lit candles in the home. For safety advice visit www.london-fire.gov.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder