Family fun for launch of Newham autism society branch
A host of events are planned for a fun day in Beckton this Saturday for families, friends and professionals who have been affected by autism and want to raise awareness while enjoying themselves in the sun.
A Newham branch of the National Autistic Society (NAS) will launch this week and to celebrate with the autistic community in the borough they will host a day of inflatables, face painting, live music, raffles and fire engines.
The West Ham Community Sports Trust have donated the football team’s training ground at the West Ham Community Centre where they will also be giving away articles signed by West Ham United players and giving free football coaching lessons.
Specialist services and autism support organisations such as SPINN, the 3 H’s and the Occupational Therapy Service will be present as well as parents of autistic children who will give peer support and point other parents in the direction of local, helpful services.
Newham NAS branch officer Sean Hurley said: “We welcome all local people affected by autism, their families, friends and the professionals who work with them to attend our launch, which has been generously supported by our local football club.
You may also want to watch:
“The branch wants to provide a voice for people in Newham affected by autism, and support the NAS in their campaigning for the rights of people who affected by autism.
“With the right support, at the right time, people with autism can lead happy and fulfilling lives.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The NAS Fun Day will be held this Saturday at West Ham United’s Beckton training grounds, West Ham Community Centre, 60a Albatross Close, off Woolwich Manor Way, Beckton from 12pm to 4pm.