Search

Family escape Canning Town balcony fire

PUBLISHED: 12:12 14 September 2015 | UPDATED: 15:14 14 September 2015

Crews from six fire engines attended the scene

Crews from six fire engines attended the scene

Archant

A family escaped from a balcony fire in Canning Town that was believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette.

Two adults and a child left the top floor of the 10 storey building in Western Gateway after being woken up by a smoke alarm on Saturday morning.

Crews from six fire stations were called to the scene at 7.36am and were able to get the fire under control by 8.30am.

Station manager Jim Smith, who was at the scene, said: “The rest of the people in the block, who weren’t being affected by the fire, stayed put in their own flats which was absolutely the right thing to do.

“If you live in a high rise or purpose built block and the fire is elsewhere in the building staying inside your own flat is the safest thing to do unless the heat or smoke is directly affecting you.

“Purpose-built flats are designed to give you protection from fire for between 30 and 60 minutes.”

Nobody was injured during the incident.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder