Faith: Upton Park school wins religion-inspired art competition
- Credit: Archant
The winners of a religion-themed art competition were announced at an awards ceremony at Elmhurst Primary School in Upton Park attended by pupils, teachers and faith leaders.
More than 80 schools are taking part in the annual Religion Matters competition, with entries ranging from collage, painting and sculpture to music and poetry.
Judges chose the best of the work, which was inspired by the students’ school visits to places of worship in Newham.
Guest speaker Father Ken Davies, of All saints Church in Forest Gate, said: “Learning about people who are different from you is challenging in life, but it is so important because it helps to build the foundations for human beings to live peacefully alongside one another.”
Standing in front of a faith tapestry created by Year 5 students, he said: “The tapestry behind me is full of different threads, colours, symbols, but it looks great even though every part of it is different.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the children of Newham are very fortunate to be able to go to all these different places and learn about others, and I hope as they do this they will be creating their own tapestry of faith full of understanding, love and tolerance.”
Zainab Malik, one of the winners, from Sandringham Primary School, said: “It feels great to be a prize winner. I won the best work for Years 3 and four.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
Elmhurst Primary itself won for the best school overall for its religious education.
The competition was run by Religion Matters, a group which gives Newham schools advice on how to teach religion, and helps organise school visits to local places of worship.
For more information visit rematters.co.uk.