Extended opening hours for Newham’s libraries
- Credit: Archant
With the nights drawing in, it’s a chance to spend evenings curled up with a good book – and Newham’s libraries are opening longer to allow just that.
Currently, the council’s main libraries stay open until 8pm just one or two nights a week, but from November, this will extend to every day apart from Sunday.
The later opening times will allow as many people as possible to take advantage of the facilities on offer and provide the opportunity for libraries to host more activities and initiatives.
From Monday, November 9, Manor Park, Beckton, Canning Town, Green Street and the Gate libraries will all be open between 10.30am and 8pm Monday to Saturday.
East Ham will open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, with a 9.30am opening on Saturday, while Stratford will open 9.30am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and 1pm to 5pm on Sunday.
The opening times at North Woolwich, Plaistow and Custom House libraries will not change.
Councillor Ken Clark, cabinet member for building communities, public affairs, planning and regeneration, said: “Extending the opening hours of our libraries will provide huge benefits to our local residents, making them available to people outside of normal working hours.
- 1 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 5 Play gives young people insight on violence against women
- 6 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 7 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 8 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Harry Smith and Aaron Drinan forming a strong partnership for Leyton Orient
“I hope our residents make full use of these extended hours and take advantage of the amazing opportunities to learn and socialise that our libraries offer.”
While national library usage decreased by around five per cent last year, Newham saw an increase of the same amount.
The extension to opening hours, which is being covered through the service’s existing budget, is expected to further boost their use.