Extended opening hours for Newham’s libraries
- Credit: Archant
With the nights drawing in, it’s a chance to spend evenings curled up with a good book – and Newham’s libraries are opening longer to allow just that.
Currently, the council’s main libraries stay open until 8pm just one or two nights a week, but from November, this will extend to every day apart from Sunday.
The later opening times will allow as many people as possible to take advantage of the facilities on offer and provide the opportunity for libraries to host more activities and initiatives.
From Monday, November 9, Manor Park, Beckton, Canning Town, Green Street and the Gate libraries will all be open between 10.30am and 8pm Monday to Saturday.
East Ham will open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, with a 9.30am opening on Saturday, while Stratford will open 9.30am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and 1pm to 5pm on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
The opening times at North Woolwich, Plaistow and Custom House libraries will not change.
Councillor Ken Clark, cabinet member for building communities, public affairs, planning and regeneration, said: “Extending the opening hours of our libraries will provide huge benefits to our local residents, making them available to people outside of normal working hours.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 7 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 8 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
“I hope our residents make full use of these extended hours and take advantage of the amazing opportunities to learn and socialise that our libraries offer.”
While national library usage decreased by around five per cent last year, Newham saw an increase of the same amount.
The extension to opening hours, which is being covered through the service’s existing budget, is expected to further boost their use.