Extended opening hours for Newham’s libraries
- Credit: Archant
With the nights drawing in, it’s a chance to spend evenings curled up with a good book – and Newham’s libraries are opening longer to allow just that.
Currently, the council’s main libraries stay open until 8pm just one or two nights a week, but from November, this will extend to every day apart from Sunday.
The later opening times will allow as many people as possible to take advantage of the facilities on offer and provide the opportunity for libraries to host more activities and initiatives.
From Monday, November 9, Manor Park, Beckton, Canning Town, Green Street and the Gate libraries will all be open between 10.30am and 8pm Monday to Saturday.
East Ham will open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, with a 9.30am opening on Saturday, while Stratford will open 9.30am to 8pm Monday to Saturday and 1pm to 5pm on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
The opening times at North Woolwich, Plaistow and Custom House libraries will not change.
Councillor Ken Clark, cabinet member for building communities, public affairs, planning and regeneration, said: “Extending the opening hours of our libraries will provide huge benefits to our local residents, making them available to people outside of normal working hours.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
“I hope our residents make full use of these extended hours and take advantage of the amazing opportunities to learn and socialise that our libraries offer.”
While national library usage decreased by around five per cent last year, Newham saw an increase of the same amount.
The extension to opening hours, which is being covered through the service’s existing budget, is expected to further boost their use.