Existing residents ‘at the heart’ of new Canning Town homes
Residents currently living in Rathbone Market have been promised places in the latest stage of the Canning Town regeneration project.
The English Cities Fund, the public and private sector partnership, and Newham Council, handed over the keys to their 271-home development to the Notting Hill Housing association last week.
The firm will manage 103 of the units, 28 homes will be for shared ownership, 40 for social rent and 35 for market rent. The development will also contain an eco-garden and allotments.
Sir Michael Lyons, chairman of the fund, said: “We are delighted to be handing over the keys for the first new homes at Vermilion to Notting Hill Housing.
We are working closely with our partners in Canning Town, who include both Newham Council and Notting Hill Housing to create a well-connected, vibrant and affordable place to live.
“Early success with sales suggests it will be very popular.”
The entire Rathbone Market regeneration scheme is expected to deliver around 650 homes, and 20,000 sq ft of new shops and cafes.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 4 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 5 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 6 'Immensely gratifying': Newham college celebrates upping Ofsted grade
- 7 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 10 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
Later phases in its development will include a new library, market square, offices and community facilities. It is due for completion in 2016.
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales said: “This is an important phase in the whole regeneration of Canning Town. The Vermilion building can be seen across Canning Town and further afield symbolising the significant economic investment in the E16 area.
“Existing residents are at the heart of this scheme and we have worked with Notting Hill Housing to ensure new homes are provided for them in this new building.
“The vision for Rathbone Market and the wider schemes in the area is to bring together social and physical regeneration to create a strong, prosperous and resilient community.”