Ex Mayor Bryan Collier collects MBE
Former Newham ceremonial mayor Cllr Bryan Collier made an emotional visit to Buckingham Palace last week to collect his MBE.
Bryan, 68, a councillor for Canning Town Southh ward, has served the borough for more than 40 years in a variety of positions.
“You don’t serve the community to get awards, but I have to say I was close to tears, “ said Bryan.
He received the award from Prince Charles.
“I would like to thanks those who nominated me for this honour, and thank you to everyone for their kind wishes and sentiments,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
One of his prodest achievements was setting up Newham’s civic awards, supported by the council and the Recorder, to honour local people.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation