Ex-footballer Sol Campbell visits Lister Community School
- Credit: Archant
Former England footballer Sol Campbell returned to his old school to meet staff and students.
He took a tour of Lister Community School, which he attended as a boy, and saw some of the pupils show off their own ball skills during a PE lessons.
As well as leaving the school a signed copy of his autobiography, the former Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur defender signed books, football boots and shirts for fans.
Headteacher Anthony Wilson said: “It was fantastic to see a former Lister student who has achieved at the highest level taking the time to come and visit current students and staff.
“Sol embodies the Lister values of ‘always aiming for excellence’ and is a great role model for our students.”
You may also want to watch:
The youngest of twelve children, Campbell grew up in Plaistow and also had spells at Portsmouth, Notts County and Newcastle United before retiring in 2012.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley