Ex-footballer Sol Campbell visits Lister Community School
- Credit: Archant
Former England footballer Sol Campbell returned to his old school to meet staff and students.
He took a tour of Lister Community School, which he attended as a boy, and saw some of the pupils show off their own ball skills during a PE lessons.
As well as leaving the school a signed copy of his autobiography, the former Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur defender signed books, football boots and shirts for fans.
Headteacher Anthony Wilson said: “It was fantastic to see a former Lister student who has achieved at the highest level taking the time to come and visit current students and staff.
“Sol embodies the Lister values of ‘always aiming for excellence’ and is a great role model for our students.”
The youngest of twelve children, Campbell grew up in Plaistow and also had spells at Portsmouth, Notts County and Newcastle United before retiring in 2012.
- 1 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 4 'Important' to get back to winning ways for West Ham says Lanzini
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 West Ham showed great character and resilience to beat Chelsea says Moyes
- 7 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas