Every drop counts over holiday
PATIENTS whose lives have been touched by the generosity of blood donors have said a big thank-you to those who will donating over the Christmas period.
Their donations will help keep blood stocks healthy at a crucial time and patients at Newham General Hospital have signed a giant Christmas card which will be displayed at donor sessions in the run-up to December 25.
Doris Thorne (pictured), of Clements Road, East Ham, has Hodgkin’s disease, a cancer of the lymphatic system, and is currently undergoing a course of chemotherapy.
She has weekly hospital visits where she has blood tests followed by a course of chemotherapy. She recently received her first blood transfusion.
She said: “Without blood I wouldn’t be here now, so please give blood to help people like me.”
It’s vital that both regular and new blood donors come forward in December to ensure sufficient blood is available for patients.
Derek Carr, Lead Donor Relations Manager for NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT), said: “Doris Thorne and many patients like her rely on vital blood transfusions. You can help them by giving blood and ensuring we maintain blood stocks through December and into the New Year.
- 1 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 2 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 3 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 8 NewVIc’s SU President reflects on first year at college: 'It's amazing for those who want to be here!'
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
“So please make every effort to attend your local blood donor session and help save a life by giving blood.”
First-time donors should be aged between 17-65, weigh at least 50 kg (7 stone 12lbs), and be in general good health. For an appointment call the Donor Line on 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk