European elections 2014: Labour rejoices at London victory
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Labour triumphed in London’s European elections last night after Newham voters took to the polls on Thursday to vote for the capital’s MEPs.
Despite being pushed into second place nationally by UKIP, it stormed to victory in the London polls after winning four out of the region’s eight seats.
Labour doubled its number of MEPs in the capital amid fears UKIP might be able to make a break through.
Across the borough 43,582 people voted for Labour, 12,398 voted for the Conservatives, 6,216 voted for UKIP and 3,449 for the Green party.
Labour managed to secure 806,959 votes London-wide while the Conservatives got 495,639, winning them two seats.
You may also want to watch:
UKIP and the Green Party kept hold of one seat each with 371,133 and 196,419 votes respectively.
The Liberal Democrats lost their MEP in London bringing them in at fifth place overall.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
Labour’s London result – in which it won 37 per cent - pushed the Conservatives into third place nationally in the European elections.
Lucy Anderson, Seb Dance, Mary Honeyball and Claude Moraes are London’s four Labour MEPs.
The two Conservative MEPs are Syed Kamall and Charles Tannock, Gerard Batten is UKIP’s MEP and Jean Lambert retained her Green Party seat.