Entries open for Richard House Hospice dancing competition
An amateur dancer who helped raise �4,000 for Richard House Children’s Hospice is urging people to follow in her footsteps.
Angela Roots, from Forest Gate, took part in a dance contest arranged by the Beckton charity in October last year.
Her two-year-old godson Elijah Cariazo, who has a range of genetic conditions that affect his breathing and swallowing, is currently being cared for by Richard House.
She said: “My friends and I who competed were only hoping to raise about �1,200, so to bring in more than �4,000 is a wonderful achievement.
“When Elijah was born we were told he wouldn’t live for long.
You may also want to watch:
“But he is now two-years-old and we take every day and every hurdle as a blessing because we still have him with is.”
In her competition, Angela took part in the foxtrot and jive dances.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
This year, Take To The Floor with Richard House will offer amateur dancers of all abilities the chance to learn two new Latin and Ballrooms dances over six weeks of free lessons.
Couples will then take to the floor to perform in the final dance-off.
Event organiser Ben Alonso said the event was open to inexperienced dancers who want to do something different over the autumn months.
He said: “We knew we had to bring the event back after it was such a huge success last year and now we are looking for 100 people to sign up.”
Take to the Floor will take place on November 28 and December 13. Entry costs �50 with a minimum sponsorship of �300 plus the sale of six �10 tickets to friends and family.
To sign up call 020 7540 0230 or email email@example.com