England call on Wadi but he fails to deliver
HEAVYWEIGHT Wadi Camacho answered a national call once again last week when he was selected for the England squad to box in the international clash with Ireland at west London’s Marriott Hotel.
Camacho achieved international success boxing in the colours of Canning Town’s Peacock BC, but suffered a points defeat in his first appearance as a member of his new club Hainault based Gator BC.
His clash with Irish boxer Jim Sweeney was a slam-bang affair as ‘Macho Man’ Camacho found the target with powerful hooks to shake his rival in the early stages.
However, the Irish boxer fought back in style as the pair traded powerful punches in a contest that had the celebrity-studded audience roaring their approval.
There looked little between them at the final bell and the judges were split in a tight verdict – the majority vote went in Sweeney’s favour.
You may also want to watch:
The tournament finished with a 5-2 victory for the England line-up including wins for a trio of boxers from the Repton BC, Mike Evans Smith, Luqmaan Patel and Brett Beadon.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 10 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School