Ellen Wilkinson pupils donate to Newham foodbank
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Ellen Wilkinson Primary School have donated almost 1,000 items of food to Newham foodbank.
The children chose the cause after electing representatives to think of an idea to help the local community.
Shoppers at Waitrose in Westfield, Stratford also donated non-perishable goods to the foodbank during a collection day on Saturday.
Adeola Osunbade, from Newham foodbank, said: “It was especially fantastic for the children to get involved and they did a fantastic job.
“It is great that they are helping families who are in need. The need is really high right now due to the disability benefit changes and there are also people who are working on low incomes who when they get bills they have to choose between paying them or eating.”
Newham foodbank has four distribution centres in Stratford, East Ham, Forest Gate and Beckton and provides support to help combat long-term problems as well as providing emergency food parcels.
For more information, visit newham.foodbank.org.uk
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network