Ellen Wilkinson pupils donate to Newham foodbank
- Credit: Archant
Pupils from Ellen Wilkinson Primary School have donated almost 1,000 items of food to Newham foodbank.
The children chose the cause after electing representatives to think of an idea to help the local community.
Shoppers at Waitrose in Westfield, Stratford also donated non-perishable goods to the foodbank during a collection day on Saturday.
Adeola Osunbade, from Newham foodbank, said: “It was especially fantastic for the children to get involved and they did a fantastic job.
“It is great that they are helping families who are in need. The need is really high right now due to the disability benefit changes and there are also people who are working on low incomes who when they get bills they have to choose between paying them or eating.”
You may also want to watch:
Newham foodbank has four distribution centres in Stratford, East Ham, Forest Gate and Beckton and provides support to help combat long-term problems as well as providing emergency food parcels.
For more information, visit newham.foodbank.org.uk
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 8 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers