Elderly community in Manor Park gets Newham walking
Two care homes in Manor Park held a Memory Walk to get their communities moving.
Residents of Bakers Court Nursing Centre in Little Ilford Lane, and Mornington Hall Residential and Nursing Home in Whitta Road did their bit on Wednesday September 19 to show the health benefits of walking by setting off at 11am.
Walking 15 minutes more every day can add up to three years to life expectancy, according to a recent report by private care home provider Bupa entitled ‘Get Walking, Keep Walking’.
Clare Baldock, home manager of Bakers Court, said: “We can all do our bit to promote healthy living, whether that’s building a couple more steps into everyday routines or making sure you walk further than you usually do.
“It’s all about doing that extra bit each day.”
You may also want to watch:
The Memory Walk is the result of a partnership between the Alzheimer’s Society and Bupa as part of their ‘Walk to a Well World’ week from September 17 to 23.
Siobhan Drane, Bupa Care Homes’ community and partnerships manager, said: “From incorporating more movement into everyday life through organising push-a-thons for those who are unable to walk, everyone can get involved and enjoy being more active.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
To find out more about local ‘Walk to a Well World’ events, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.bupa.co.uk/walking.