Ejiofor and Elba represent Newham in BAFTA nominations
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Two Newham actors have been nominated for BAFTAs.
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba both grew up in Newham and have been recognised in this year’s award nominations, released today.
Former Forest Gate resident Ejiofor, who takes the lead in 12 Years A Slave, received a nomination for Best Leading Actor.
The film, which is an adaptation of Solomon Northup’s 1853 autobiography, has been nominated in ten categories, including Best Film.
He is no stranger to the BAFTA red carpet, having been nominated in the Orange Rising Star category in 2006.
You may also want to watch:
Elba’s portrayal of Nelson Mandela in Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom has earned a nomination for Outstanding British Film.
He grew up in East Ham and went to school in Canning Town before making his name in television shows Luther and The Wire.
- 1 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 8 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 9 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 10 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
The winners will be announced at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden on February 16.